Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Lockdown: Painting

Resuming the artistic style of Joanna Margaret Paul, we are then tasked with completing a painting of what we see outside our windows. Before doing so I began to look at several of the works of Paul; 'Interior With Bed And Doll', 'The Plum Tree, Barry’s Bay' are some examples of these. 

In the piece, I've had unexpected issues. Running out of acrylic paint only 1/3 through the art was quite problematic. I've had to resort to using oil paint which was quite challenging to paint with given the time. Wet on wet painting was the method that I needed to use, though as challenging as it was, it was quite enjoyable. 

However, it was not only the supply and methods that I had some challenges on, Joanna Margaret Paul's technique was testing as well. Her ability to give such vibrancy to her work had become an admiration of mine. And the way she painted and moved was taxing, to say the least. 

After finishing the piece I was pleased. Though I have not fully captured her style, I was glad to at least try and achieve a fragment of the vibrancy she gave her paintings. I enjoy how the colours popped. The flowers were probably the part I liked the most. My mood has defined how I painted. Music has been a great part of it. Listening to "Waltz of Flowers"-Tchaikovsky, "Feeling Good"- Nina Simone, "La Mer" -Charles Trenet played a great part.



1 comment:

  1. Well done Axle, It's a fresh and airy painting and I like how the window panes are separate little paintings. A very positive use of your time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments
Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about